Lockdown

Bit of a gap after 6 months travelling around South East Asia and New Zealand. My plan had been to come back and crack on with getting the sprite back together before the summer. Then a global pandemic happened and work got a little busy....Wierdly I am either now at work for 13 hours or off with nothing else to do so the last week or two has been a bit more productive.

The paints cured really nicely whilst have been away. Spent a bit of time compounding the rear scuttle again to see how it was coming up and am very happy with the results. I will doubtlessly scratch something whilst putting the car together again so shall leave the rest for now and do it at the last step.

First issue has been the drive train. Plonker me forgot to ream the rear bush in the gearbox tail housing as I was rushing and so out it all came again. This gave me a lot of time to think about the clutch geometry again and after much discussion with some very helpful advice from MASC members (Alan Anstead especially) and Hardy Engineering I've changed my plan slightly. So off the gearbox goes to have the internals fitted into a smoothcase bell housing to give me a stronger gearset but in an original smoothcase gearbox. This will allow use of all the 948 components and stop having to use the mishmash I currently have. I managed to source a thin engine backplate quickly and its here before I've even managed to get the gearbox picked up. An old chest has made for a useful way of packing it.

Otherwise I have begun the task of rewiring the car again. Moving the fuse boxes and relays behind the new centre console as well as additional electrical's






such as battery cut offs, fuel pump cut offs etc has meant a bit of a rework.

At the same time the chassis black a lot of brackets were painted with last time is now looking a bit shoddy and so I have invested in a sandblasting cabinet to get everything cleaned up properly this time. Even managed to get the nackered heater box looking already today! Shall see how it paints up.


Comments

Popular Posts