Catching up

So its been awhile since I started. Lifes got a little more busy now I've finally started working as a doctor and so finding extended periods to play with this project is becoming harder and harder. Planning ahead of time has become an ever greater challenge, one or two missing pieces can scupper 3 or 4 days potential work.

So went on a jolly with the TR register and dad in the works TR3A instead:




So whilst awaiting a plan for the engine I started work on the hard top (a lovely light weight non standard racing example) which came with the car but needed stripping, repairing and painting.


















Whilst off buying painting supplies I ran into these: I wish I could have got a photo inside the garage, full of lambos, over 10 at least in various states of repair.



Back to the hardtop:


Noxious chemicals on mass:







Then I headed off to Bristol and ran into these Patina beauts:


And then went to castle coombe for some classic racing: (My polo is definitely faster than the ferrari...)



Where the TR was hiding amoungst lots of standard cars with no one none the wiser as to her history...






And then I headed home, desperately trying to keep up with the TR as we headed west into the setting sun....I had no chance

But on arriving home I had a rather nice box of bits to play with:


So off came the rocker gear


To be replaced to with a nice Mini sport 1.3 roller rocker set to make it more bullet proof at 8000 rpm....



A little coked up from the number one exhaust valve being stuck shut by the broken tappet adjuster.....


Unfortunately when torquing the head back down disaster struck AGAIN (same thing happened a year ago):

Number 4 rocker pedestal stud snapped clear off at 16ft/lb...only another ft/lb to go.....chocolate teapot moment for sure...


To hasten my spirits though i went looking at my uncles car (another frogeye wreck) and discovered this hiding in the barn.....a VERY rare and VERY special Donald Healey Motor Company Hardtop for the mark one sprite!!!! Desperately need to raise funds to buy some side screens for it (only 2 sets left of some remakes that where made recently) and have a good chat to my uncle about what he is doing with it, but more importantly some digging into the history of the yellow frog is needed as according to Martin Ingall at Sebringsprite.com these tops where only supplied originally with cars that were converted to Sebring spec at the "Cape"...





Number 207....highest known number in existence (Prev early 190's)...



Back to work then, so the engine was stuck whilst the head went off to be drilled and helicoiled.....so I made some new sidescreen and hard top screens out of some plexiglass that was an old swimming pool enclosure




Rather pleased with the results:





As an aside the TR3A was being secretly prepped for a moment of stardom....


Which also involves this ridiculous 1960's racing hat.....



Unfortunately at the moment I can say no more on that matter...........but more to come once I am allowed to say more........

Comments

Popular Posts